Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Educating Students about Mental Illness


Illustration by Tonya Engel

I recently read an article titled "The Shame Game-Reducing the Stigma Surrounding Mental Illness" by Marilyn Elias in the Fall 2013 issue of Teaching Tolerance.  The article discusses the experiences of an adolescent struggling with depression and anxiety, the negative reactions of her peers, and lack of support by teachers.  Unfortunately for this student, her peers were uneducated about mental illnesses and what it means to be struggling with one.  Her teachers failed to see the importance of teaching all students about mental health.  The article goes on to discuss what some teachers across the country are trying to do to help all students understand how to support someone who is struggling with such issues as depression or anxiety.  One teacher in Maryland surveys her students at the beginning of the year to see what they want to learn about improving ones mental well-being.  At a school in Long Island, NY, teachers pick a school-wide theme about a social or emotional issue to focus on throughout the school year.  Teachers then incorporate this theme into daily curriculum to educate the school community (Elias, 2013).

I think it is important for all teachers to do their part in educating students about what it means to have a mental illness and what life might be like for someone that has one.  One way teachers can easily work this teaching into daily curriculum by including articles and books on mental illness during reading.  Students can work on such tasks as identifying main idea and details or finding author's purpose.  For further lesson ideas, teachers can search through the Classroom Resources on the Teaching Tolerance home page.

This year, I would like to include some books into our book clubs which can educate about mental illness.  Does anyone have any good suggestions on a third-sixth grade reading level?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I plan on doing a project later in the year where my students can explore their own disabilities and share with others. I will have to look back at this when I get to that project!

    ReplyDelete