I created a digital story that I could use immediately within the classroom. The purpose of this video is to aid students in understanding how to count a group of mixed coins. The video leads students step by step through identifying the coins, sorting the coins, adding the coins, and then applying the skill to real life situations in the board game, The Allowance Game.
Teachers can use this video as an introduction to a unit on counting coins. Students can watch as counting coins is modeled throughout the video. Teacher can then guide students through counting their own groups of mixed coins. There are a variety of games out there that can be used as independent practice with students. They can even be used as a math station for students to practice together!
How do others feel they can incorporate digital stories into their classroom?
The first few times I used iMovie, I found the process time consuming as I adjusted to the options and how to use them. Once I knew that and had images or video already available to import into the program, the editing and adding narration and sound did not take long. As with any project, if you first need to collect images or film footage, that is time consuming, but that is not the result of using iMovie. I guess with iMovie,once you learn how to import the needed visuals, how to add the narration, and how to add a soundtrack, it does not take long. As with any project, though, you can tinker to your heart's delight. Let's assume you had 10-15 images ready to import and knew what you wanted to say for each image. It really would not take long to produce the video. However, if the project gets more complicated than that, yes, it will take longer. Depends on what kind of video you want to produce. But then again, producing an effective slide show even with PowerPoint can be time consuming depending upon the goals and the media used in the show. I know that young children have quickly produced videos with iMovie on iPads once they had the images collected and ready to go.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I'm going to give iMovie another shot with my students as part of the literacy project. When I showed them this one they were very excited about making one themselves. Once completed I will be sharing on Blogger and I'm hoping this 2nd experience won't be as time consuming!
DeleteIt says that your movie is private when I clicked play! Looking forward to seeing it!
ReplyDeleteThanks...I fixed it!
DeleteI really liked your digital story. Your voice is clear. I also like how you displayed both sides of the coin. My sister teaches this topic and really liked your project too. Great job on the background music!
ReplyDeleteI have heard that iMovie on an iPad is easier for younger students, so if you plan to implement with students, you might look into that.
ReplyDeleteI really like your digital story. Your narration is spot on and I love the music you chose. I would love to use this with some of my students if it is okay with you. Great job Heather!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely! Thank you!
DeleteGreat video! I thought your video was very clear and it will definitely be a useful tool in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great video to use year after year... great job!
ReplyDelete